You are my Sunshine is a song that I've sung to each of my children as infants. I remember singing it to Luke while holding him in the NICU each and every day and night. For some reason, it was the only song that came to mind, and it became my go-to song for each child thereafter...
You are my Sunshine
My Lukey (...Levi, Libby) Sunshine
You make my happy
When skies are grey
You'll never know dear (I substituted "baby")
How much I love you
Please don't take
My Sunshine away
My favorite first moments with Luke, Levi, and Libby include a rocking chair, a cuddly blankey, and this song. When I typed "pink and yellow Birthday" in the search field of Pinterest and "Sunshine" themes started popping up, it seemed only fitting to just go with it.
So, I give you, You are My Sunshine, first Birthday style:
Here are a few pictures with family...
Some train ride fun...
And a few present-opening captures...
Finally, the Birthday Girl:
There are still so many more pictures I could share, but I want to leave some just for Libby to discover on her own. A special thank-you to Harmon Photography for taking the time out of their incredibly busy schedule to come and capture Libby's special day, and also to Aunt Heidi for sharing some of her super-sweet pictures of the day as well! All of the pictures from Libby's Birthday are burned to a CD, and they will go in her time capsule along with the rest of her goodies.
Pinterest Finds: I absolutely love pictures (as if you can't tell by my blog), and I may have taken a few over the past year. :-) I wanted a way to display them at her party, so I came across this idea on pinterest...stringing pictures on baker's twine on an open picture frame. The chalkboard concept was also a pinterest find, but there were only image links. So, I decided to make my own. I purchased the chalkboard at Hobby Lobby for something around $5, spray painted the frame pink, and then used some chalk pens to write in the milestones. Dafont.com is an awesome site to find various chalkboard fonts (and I found this pin to be helpful, too), so I typed everything out in word, and then just copied the computer screen. It's far from perfect, but I think it turned out cute, and the imperfections are what make it so personal. The time capsule was purchased from Almost Sunday Designs, and I really loved the concept of storing memories from Libby's big day for her to read about when she becomes an adult. The napkin with her hand print (another pinterest find) is one of the items that I tucked in the Time Capsule, along with note cards from her party guests and some other first birthday memorabilia. :-)
![]() |
| {Frame Close-up} |
Just a few decorations: On each table I placed a potted pinwheel (spray painted clay pot, made pinwheel out of sunshine construction paper, attached pinwheel to a decorative straw, and stuffed it into styrofoam with paper crunchies on top), some balloons, and a framed "monthly" picture (I put those sticky belly pics to good use!!). My parents made the super-cute "You are my Sunshine" photo op that I found here.
Lots of teal, pink, and yellow! I made the cakes, attempting an ombre effect (can you tell?) on the swirl rose layers. The bloomers (pictured at the end) and bib were purchased from Doodle Bug Designs. The Paper Kingdom made the Happy Birthday Banner, High Chair Banner, and Cake Topper.
These candy dishes deserve a blown-up picture of their own. So many people asked me about them. I really cannot tell you where I saw them, but I googled "letter candy dishes" and was able to purchase them from David's Bridal, of all places!! I only had to purchase a few additional letters in order to use them for Luke and Levi's parties...the perks of naming your children short names that all being with an "L". :-)
![]() |
| {Goldfish Crackers, anyone?} |
Or maybe you'd rather have a goldfish straight out of the box?
| {The kid toted this box around the entire party!} |
Here comes the cake! My favorite part of the Birthday party is singing Happy Birthday. I get choked up every.single.time. Those words now have an entirely new meaning to me.
After a little prompting, baby girl dug right in!
Here are a few pictures with family...
Some train ride fun...
Finally, the Birthday Girl:
There are still so many more pictures I could share, but I want to leave some just for Libby to discover on her own. A special thank-you to Harmon Photography for taking the time out of their incredibly busy schedule to come and capture Libby's special day, and also to Aunt Heidi for sharing some of her super-sweet pictures of the day as well! All of the pictures from Libby's Birthday are burned to a CD, and they will go in her time capsule along with the rest of her goodies.
A few more links:
Libby's hat, made by Dainty Couture
Libby's shirt and tutu, made by Addie Kat Boutique
Libby's headband, made by Aubrey Gianna's Boutique
I had so much fun putting this party together...sorting through pictures, spray painting nearly everything that I could get my hands on, and pinning Pinterest finds until I was cross-eyed! I loved every second of it, and I hope that special memories were made for those who came and celebrated with us.
Our girl is officially one!
















No comments:
Post a Comment