Thursday, April 19, 2012

Third Trimester and Growth Scan

Hello, Third Trimester! :-)  Folks, we're in the home-stretch!  I guess this is the point where things start becoming a little uncomfortable (hello little baby head underneath my right rib cage!), and my midsection expands to unbelievable proportions!  It's a little crazy to think that in a short couple of months, we could have a baby.  Wow!  I'm excited, and a little scared. :-)

We've been talking to the boys a lot about the baby.  I don't think either of them really realize that there's a real baby in my "tummy", even though s(he) kicks the boys *all* of the time!  (Already fighting for lap time, haha!)  They're just too young to grasp the idea, yet.  The other day, as Luke and I were driving home from my Mom's, Luke said to me, "Mommy, we need to pick out a name for our baby."  Yes, our baby!  He suggested Baby Alyssa (Alyssa is the name of the little girl at the sitter's), but I explained to him that that was Baby Alyssa's name.  So, now he's on the search for the perfect name. :-)

Levi is constantly asking to see my belly...hugging and kissing "the baby".  It's really quite sweet. :-)  He insists that he's having a "brudder...a black brudder".  The sitter raises cows, and here within the past month or so 3 of their cows have had calves.  They were all black in color, so Levi's innocent little 2-year-old mind thinks that *all* babies, be they animals or human, are born the color black.  :-)

{Levi peeking at baby...it's hard to tell, but he's giggling *so* big!}
Levi still has a hard time with me holding other kiddos.  He immediately throws his hands up and wants me to hold him.  So, we'll see how he adjusts to a new little baby.  I think that as long as I involve him in helping a lot, he'll be fine.

Both of the boys are going to be awesome big brothers!  Baby bro/sis got Luke and Levi each a little gift to help celebrate his/her birthday:



And for the baby:


Last week, I took the lovely glucose tolerance test.   I've also started doing kick counts twice a day.  Doc recommended them, and with being as busy as I've been lately, it's a nice reminder to stop and enjoy the remainder of this pregnancy and the little miracle growing inside of me. :-)

Today, I had my second growth scan.  The good points:
  • Baby has gained a little over a lb in the past 3 weeks.  S(he) now weighs 2lbs 15oz!
  • BP and urine both looked good.
  • Baby was very active, and HEAD DOWN!  :-)
  • Fluid levels looked great!
  • Baby's HR was 137.
And the not-so-great:

My placenta is showing signs of aging...already.  With Levi, this was one of the key indicators that I needed to deliver, but I was also 5 weeks further along, had very little fluid, and was having contractions that he didn't handle well.  SO, the plan is to go back to the Doc for a BP/urine check next week, and then have another growth scan the following week.  I won't lie, I'm a bit nervous.  With both of the boys things sort of took a nose-dive for the worse within a week's time.  BUT, I'm remaining optimistic.  Every pregnancy is different, and I have a very proactive Doctor.  I will be resting as much as possible while at home, and really limiting my activity.  Doc said that could buy me a little more time. :-)


Here we are at 28 weeks (no 29-week belly, sorry!):



And beautiful little baby a few days shy of 30 weeks:

{Baby has both hands up by face.  Aww!}


Hope everyone's having a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment