Sunday, June 30, 2013

Getting Healthy -- Week 2

This is a continuation of my weight-loss/getting healthy journey.  If you are reading for the first time, a link to Week 1 can be found here.

Something that I forgot to note last week that I realized as I was lying in bed at 10:45p trying to fall asleep is that I have a TON more energy.  Before I started the Challenge, by the time I got Libby to bed I was exhausted.  I just wanted to curl up in bed and go to sleep.  That's not the case anymore.  I had enough energy on Day 7 to go for a run after the kids were in bed, do two loads of laundry, and watch Ax men with the hubs. :-)  Maybe it's the slight change in diet, maybe it's the Spark energy drink...who knows?  Still something I wanted to note, as it's a very obvious change for me.  

Also, regarding weigh-ins:
  1. I weigh-in each morning, directly before I jump in the shower.
  2. I weigh myself each day even when I'm not actively dieting or exercising, although it feels like I've been doing one or the other for as long as I can remember.  My weight is a point of reference for me, and it serves as motivation to keep going (and work harder if the scale jumps up).  
  3. I did take measurements (thus how I found out that I have the body shape of an avocado), and I will remeasure on Day 24. 
I know that this regimen for weighing-in does not work for all, but I can easily fall off of the "I feel like I'm starving and seriously denying myself" train very quickly if I don't see some sort of tangible result rather quickly.

Okay, so, progress this week...I wrapped up the cleanse phase and started the 14-day Max phase:
Cleanse cont...
Day 8:  Monday June 24th, 152.4 lbs.  Two mile run.  I'm not as ravenously hungry as I was on Days 4-6.  My legs are; however, very sore from running! :-)
Day 9:  Tuesday June 25th, 151.6 lbs.  Uh-oh, I cheated.  Chili con queso dip from B-Dub's, anyone?!  No work out.  Very tired tonight.  (Could it be the 3 a.m. wake up calls the past 2 nights?)
Day 10:  Wednesday June 26th, 153.4 lbs.  Yoga lunch.  2 mile run with Libby.

Begin 14 Day Max Phase
Day 11:  Thursday June 27th, 152.6 lbs.  Ran a little over 2 miles.
Day 12:  Friday June 28th, 150.8 lbs.
Day 13:  Saturday June 29th, 150.0 lbs.  Rain, rain, go away!!
Day 14:  Sunday June 30th, 150.0 lbs. The weather has been crappy, and my shins have been killing me, so I'm hoping to get a run in today after taking a couple of days off.



Weight loss this week:  3.2 lbs
Net Total weight loss:  5.4 lbs

Okay, so as you can see I cheated this week.  BUT, I stayed right in the ball game instead of feeling defeated and giving up (which is not typical for me!).  AND, one thing that I have stuck with...drinking water.  That's right!  I hate water, but I have been drinking 80oz + a day...no pop, no crystal light, just water (and Spark).

Which leads me to my tip this week...if you're a water-hater like me, here are a few things that have made my consumption of the tasteless fluid a little easier:
  •  Set a measurable goal, and use a container to drink out of that shows your water consumption.  For this challenge, my goal is 1/2 my weight in oz per day...I rounded up to 80 oz.  My blender bottle has oz ticks on the side measuring up to 20 oz.  I set myself a goal to drink (2) blender bottles before lunch, and (2) after.  BAM!  80 oz. :-)
  • The colder, the better.  I don't love water, but I dislike it even more when it's tepid. 
  • Add a slice of fruit.  It leaves a very subtle undertone of flavor without the sugar or artificial sweetners that you find in Crystal Light, for example (not dissing on Crystal Light...I still love it, but we're breaking up for a couple more weeks until after I at least finish this challenge!).  I've used lemon, lime, orange, and I've even added a few slices of strawberry.


{via}
 Here's a link to some additional fruit-infused water creations.  How are you staying hydrated this Summer?  Any yummy drink recipes that you want to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment