Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Overwhelmed

January is always a sort of dreaded month for me.  January = the start of tax prep.  I loathe taxes, tax prepping...really anything to do with accounting itself, but mostly just taxes.  It's not the arduous task of entering everything a bajillion times and quadruple checking my work (although, let's face it, it's not "fun"), it's the stress that comes along with making sure everything is done correctly.  Any minor error can result in an audit, for example, which are even less fun than doing the taxes themselves.  Before B started his business, tax season was easy peasy.  I got my W-2 Form from work, combined it with B's, and off to the accountant I went.  He did all of the number crunching, I signed a form or two, and that was it!  Now, it's a mess of W-2 and 1099 forms to be prepared, reconciling the account, running reports...and dealing with the IRS when they make a HUGE clerical error NOT in our favor (like "insert lotsa moolah amount here" not in our favor...yeah, glad that's straightened out 10 forms and several painful hours on/off hold later).  Anyway, I'm getting off on a tangent...

January is a busy month. :-)  Currently, I am feeling slightly overwhelmed...not just with B & S work, but with work-work, projects-I-want-to-get-done-at-home work, and being-a-Mommy work.  I guess I'm not really overwhelmed with being-a-Mommy work...I'm overwhelmed with sad feelings of wanting to spend more time with the kiddos and not being able to due to the constraints of everything else.  The boys can feel it, too.  Typically, they save their "Mommy, do you have to work tomorrow" inquiries for bedtime, but yesterday, it was as soon as I picked them up.

So, guess what?  I said to heck with it...I didn't run home to cook dinner, to straighten up (party b/c my handy dandy helper had done this for me during the day...THANK YOU), to toss a load of laundry in the wash...I didn't even sort the mail!  We went home, and I ripped open that Rice Krispie Treat Choo-Choo train set maker that the boys have been begging to make since Saturday, and that's what we did.  We made Rice Krispie treat trains, and we had a heckuvah lot of fun doing it!  :-)




 















And when B came home and said, "well, I guess we're having Rice Krispies for dinner tonight", I didn't even flinch when I kindly guided him to the lunch meat drawer in the fridge, pointed at the hot dogs, and handed him a plate. :-)

Thanks Aunt Heidi and Uncle Phillip for the train set!  The boys loved it, and so did I. :-)

1 comment: